How to increase conversion time?

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Hello Rajan,

I installed your solution and it works great, converted Word doc to PDF, brilliant, thank you.

One question, it took about 10 mins to convert a six page Word document.

Is there anything I can do to increase the conversion time?

I've got the Conversion Timer-Job set as default 1 minute. Are there any settings on the server or in Central Admin to adjust?

Thanks,

Ando

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Hi Ando,

To set the conversion job settings, you can goto:

Central Administration -> Application Management -> Manage Service Applications (under Service Applications section) -> Click on <Your Word Automation Service>

On this page you can change the settings as you like.

Cheers!!!

Rajan

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Thanks Rajan,

That worked great.  Changed the conversion time to 1 minute (the lowest) and three files converted. Thank You!

One request I'd like to make for the next version: 

Are you able to place the conversion button onto the page rather than the ribbon? Is that possible or is it Ribbon only?

Cheers,

Ando

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Hi Ando,

I am glad this utility saves your time. If you like it please provide your rating and comments. ;)

About your request, on page where you want this button to be placed? This feature is meant only for document library. So, we can place it on ribbon or item context menu.

Cheers!!!

Rajan

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM
RajanGarg wrote:

Hi Ando,

I am glad this utility saves your time. If you like it please provide your rating and comments. ;)

About your request, on page where you want this button to be placed? This feature is meant only for document library. So, we can place it on ribbon or item context menu.

Cheers!!!

Rajan

Hi Rajan,  If it's not too much trouble, the file context menu as well as the ribbon would be fine.  I have sites that I hide the ribbon from users, so if I can't copy the Convert button code into a separate web-part and place it above the Document Library, then the File Context Menu is the next best thing.

Much appreciated for your efforts.

Ando

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Hi Ando,

Please check my new solution file. In this solution i have added the ECB functionality and made few more enhancements like folder selection and only select docx/doc files for conversion.

I haven't tested this build completely. Kindly test and put your comments.

Cheers!!!

Rajan

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Hi Rajan,

It Works! I removed the previous solution file and uploaded your current file, uploaded new word doc.  The red Convert Document link shows on File Context Menu, clicked convert and waited approx 1 min... file converted to PDF. All done.

Many thanks for this solution, your hard work is much appreciated.

Brett

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 5:23 PM

You are welcome Brett.

Cheers!!!

Rajan

May 6, 2014 at 3:04 AM
Nice sharing. Conversion speed is good enough for me. Really helpful for my word to PDF conversion! Thank you guys!